Friday, April 30, 2021

Change of Plans...

 No, I am not quitting.

When I set out on my journey, I had plans of keeping all my books free. I write for fun and I wasn't concerned with the income.

I knew Amazon and Barnes & Noble/Nook Press were going to be my biggest Marketplaces, So I started self-publishing through them.

What I really liked about Nook Press (Barnes & Noble's Self-publishing platform) was the ability to make my books permanently free, or 'perma-free.' However, KDP does NOT give that option. If I want my books to be free on Amazon, I need to email them, provide the URLs to my books on the B&N site, and HOPE Amazon would price-match.

And... for the MOST part, they did. I only had to email Amazon once and the price was set to $0.00. For the LONGEST time, Amazon wouldn't touch the price either.

And then... I decided to publish 'Savior.' This was the ONLY book I actually wanted to sell, with all proceeds going to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Joe Anoa'i (WWE's Roman Reigns) was the muse for 'Markus' and I wanted to support him.

After that is when my pricing issues began.

It seemed like I had to contact Amazon much more often to 'reset' one (or more) of my books to $0.00. It got to the point where I was contacting them every other week.

While yes, they WOULD reset the price of the book, it became a pain to having to constantly contact them. And every reply they sent me would say the same thing... 'We retain discretion over determining our retail prices.'

Due to this, It seems I CANNOT have my books be 'perma-free' on Amazon. 

Right now, 4 of my 7 books sit at $0.99, even though I have asked them to keep all but 1 book at $0.00.

Therefore, as of MAY 1, 2021, all books on Amazon will be $0.99.

Also, as of MAY 31, 2021, all books will become Amazon-exclusive. My sales on Barnes & Noble do not justify leaving them on their platform. I'm not 100% sure if I will be putting them into Kindle Unlimited, but my books will ONLY be available on Amazon after that date.

No comments:

Post a Comment