Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Review - ProWritingAid

ProWritingAid Review


DISCLAIMER: Usually, I don’t do reviews on here, but this is a product I use quite a bit and love.

Being an Indie author with a nearly $0 editing budget, that leaves the editing part of the writing process up to me. Good thing I was an English buff. I have a decent to excellent sense of the English language and I know my way around a word processor. Over the past 30 years, I’ve used a LOT of word processors, ranging from ClarisWorks/AppleWorks in the early 1990s to Microsoft Works in the late 1990s to OpenOffice in the 2000s. I’ve even used Google Docs as my word processor when I was using a Chromebook.

But the one thing those word processors did NOT have built in was an actual grammar checker. As I said above, it’s a good thing I was an English buff in school. Anything to do with grammar, I excelled at. But, there are even some rules I’m not sure of… whether that be because I’m rusty at the rules (I’ve been out of school for 20+ years at this point) or my school’s curriculum decided my knowing Romeo’s soliloquy by heart was more important that grammar rules.

In the writing world, this is where an editor would step in and correct my grammar faux pas, and tightening up my writing. But, editors are pricey... Being an Indie author with a nearly $0 editing budget, that leaves the editing part of the writing process up to me.

Enter ProWritingAid.

What I like most about ProWritingAid is the plethora of options it has for usage. The company offers a standalone desktop app, which integrates with the Microsoft Office suite of apps, Google Docs, Scrivener, OpenOffice, and Final Draft. They also offer browser extensions (compatible with Firefox, Google Chrome and Safari browsers), so if you’re more of a Cloud-based author, you can still use their product.

Another feature I LOVE is the reports. ProWritingAid offers 20 original reports to help me see my errors and to also see my strengths.


My favorite report is the ‘Real Time’ report.


This shows me where my errors are, and I can fix them right on the go. That helps me so much because I’m usually editing right before I send the file to my ‘Beta Girls.’ I like my work to be as polished as possible.

Another report I’m fond of is the Readability Report. It tells me how easy my writing is. As a Romance author, I know my readers are looking for an escape from real life; a vacation from life, so to speak. So, I want to keep my writing easy to read and understand. The Readability Report helps me ensure that my readers won’t be left scratching their heads.


I’ve used other web-based grammar checkers in the past, and they worked fine. But between privacy issues and missing errors other checkers have picked up, I constantly go back to ProWritingAid for its ease of use and reliability. In fact, I ran this review through ProWritingAid before posting it.

But don’t take my word for it. Go check out some of their YouTube videos. Read some of their articles… there’s over 1000 articles to choose from. Take a free two-week trial of their software integrations.

Simply go to this link to register: https://prowritingaid.com/en/Account/Register2

No comments:

Post a Comment